Friday, October 2, 2009

Good Week

I don’t know if it’s the changing weather, the beginning of fall, or just a blessing, but I’ve had a great week. I’ve been pleasantly surprised so many times these past few days with new discoveries, answered prayers, and unlikely friends.

Monday, I did my weekly deep cleaning of the kids’ room and bathroom, which always leaves me feeling satisfied and like I’ve accomplished something. Later that night, I was so happy to find my favorite gelateria had a new flavor: cake! It went perfectly with my usual cookies gelato!

Tuesday was my day off and I really wanted to take full advantage of it, so I started off with breakfast at this American bakery down the street from me. I satisfied my breakfast craving with a delicious piece of vegetable quiche. I sat there for a while and studied my Italian, then went out to explore a little. Just as I was trying to talk myself out of dessert, a huge “Arte del cioccolato” sign caught my eye and I found myself walking down a tree-lined alley and into the most beautiful chocolate shop ever. I couldn’t resist now...so I tried a few of the most delicate, yet extravagant chocolate truffles I’ve ever had. My favorite: dark chocolate filled with red wine! That afternoon, I was running along my usual path, but I was in an exploring mood and had no time constraints, so I followed some stairs leading up a trail into the woods. I had no idea where it led, and just as I was starting to get worried, I turned the corner and was standing in front of the most beautiful cathedral, San Miniato. (Mom, this is the church the lady at the hotel told us to visit, but couldn’t find) I couldn’t believe I have run past this place countless times, and have never noticed it up on the hill! Even though I was sweaty and in my nike shorts and tennis shoes, I walked around to the side of the church where I saw a little garden. I went through the gate and realized there was more, so I kept going. Before I knew it, I was in the middle of the most amazing cemetery. It was huge, and went on and on, up and down platforms and stairs, and around buildings. I walked all over, peeking around corners and admiring the beautiful statues adorning the hundreds of graves. I am definitely going back soon with my camera! That night, I met with a boy that I had talked to when I was out with my friends last week. He’s from northern Italy, but living in Florence and asked if I would want to meet sometime to have an English/ Italian conversation exchange, something I had been wanting to do. Although the point of our meeting was to equally help each other with our respective languages, I don’t know enough Italian yet to have a real conversation, so most of the speaking was done in English. It was fun though and we had some great pizza.

You couldn't resist this either...



Wednesday, I had my first Italian quiz and I felt like it actually went really well. But we’ll see when we get our grades back on Monday. That afternoon, I made Eleni's mom's white wine cake for Martino’s sister’s birthday. After a few (what I thought were disastrous) mistakes in the kitchen, it actually turned out great! His family came over that night for dinner, it’s always fun to have a full table.

Yesterday morning, I went to volunteer at an English church here in Florence. They host a homeless food and clothing drive every Thursday and are always looking for help, so I went with a few girls from my class. Also, Lucia’s dad was rushed to the hospital earlier that morning. He is doing ok now, but is having some trouble moving his legs. He is the one you saw the picture of hauling logs back to the mulino. He’s obviously in great shape for his age, so he should make a full recovery, but please keep Mario and his family in your prayers. On a lighter note, I was so excited yesterday afternoon when an older couple stopped me and asked for directions. I wanted to jump up and down and scream “Yes, I know where that is because I LIVE HERE!!” but instead, I just smiled and pointed them in the right direction. It was very satisfying though.

This morning has been pretty quiet. I just had lunch at the cutest little cafe that I’ve passed a few times and have always wanted to try. I overheard a woman speaking English, and butted into her conversation (typ), but she was really nice and we ended up talking for a long time. She joined me at my table and we ate together. She’s from Illinois and just moved here with her Italian husband. She gave me her number and told me not to hesitate to call her if I ever need anything. I love meeting people like her! I’ve also been trying to steer away from my normal walking routes this week. I’ve been going down different streets everyday and I love finding little hidden “gems.” I have no idea what our weekend plans are, but I'm hoping to catch some of the Georgia game Saturday night.

A few pics from this week:




2 comments:

  1. So glad you are exploring your neighborhood and finding hidden treasures , Honey! I can't wait to get back and have you show us all your discoveries. Have a great weekend - Love, Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always liked beer and chocolate together. The red wine sounds good too!! With me, everything is food and drink. Glad you are finding some new spots during your walks. I see a new dining guide in your future. I just need to print up your blog and I will have it. Only your autograph will be required.
    Go Dawgs and RTR,
    Big AL

    ReplyDelete