Sunday, October 18, 2009

Uma and Me

The same morning that I went to Rome, Lucia and Martino left town for 4 days. The grandparents picked the kids up from school that day and kept them all weekend, leaving me with some time off! Lucia asked me specifically to spend some time with Uma while they were gone, she was in need of some TLC. So, Friday afternoon after I slept in and went for a run, I put Uma’s leash on her and we went out on the town. We walked all over Florence, stopping in a few stores, but mostly window shopping. I wanted to go back to San Miniato, but it was too far for her to walk, so I dropped her off at home and made the hike up to the beautiful church. It is also a monastery, and every evening is open to the public to hear the monks chanting. I got there in time to walk around the cathedral a little bit, then sat down for the chants. I didn’t really know what to expect, but it turns out they chant the whole church service, so I ended up staying for mass. It took place underneath the main alter of the church, in a very dim, stone-walled room. I felt like I was back in the 1500’s, I’m sure most of the rituals haven’t even changed since then. It was so cool. By the time I left, it was getting dark and cold, so I never made it back to the cemetery, but I'll go back sometime soon. I spent the rest of the night curled up with Uma on the couch, watching some American TV.






Saturday was equally as relaxing and wonderful. I made myself some warm vegetable soup for lunch then met up with Barbara and Sophia at The Festival of Creativity on the other side of town. It was mainly geared toward a younger age, but I enjoyed walking around the books and food floor! They had all different types of booths set up with exotic spices, cheeses, breads, wines, herbs, and a huge section of books- kid’s books, novels, and cookbooks mostly. As we were leaving, Barbara invited me to go to the movies with them! We saw the Disney movie, “Up.” Stupidly, I didn’t know it was going to be in Italian until it started, but I followed along pretty well. It was pretty easy since it was animated, but I did pick up on more words than I thought I would. Last night, I got to skype with my whole family at once! Emily is home for the weekend, so they all crowded around the computer to say hello, it was great.

After being here for a few weeks, I got an email from a friend at Georgia saying that some of their best family friends from Mobile were moving to Florence this fall. The husband had been chosen to be the new rector at St. James English Church here. Well, last Sunday was his first service in Florence and Caroline and I went. It was great; I loved the church, music, and all people there. Afterwards, I introduced myself to Reverend Dunnam and his wife and they could not have been nicer! They were so friendly and kind, already inviting me to spend some time with them as soon as they get settled. I went back for church this morning and spoke to each of them for a little while again. I’m looking forward to getting to know both of them while I’m here.

Right now, I am enjoying my last few hours of quiet before the kids get home at this really cool little cafe down the street (actually, it’s the same place I met that American woman who I had lunch with one day). They have a separate reading room off of the dining area that is the perfect place to enjoy a cup of hot chocolate on this cold October day!

5 comments:

  1. Great post, Mere! Why you let me be the "writer" when we wrote our little books is beyond me!!! Miss you, wish I was having hot chocolate with you in Firenze :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pics! Is that San Miniato?? I was picturing a small, quaint church. That place is gorgeous and ornate! I still get so envious when I read your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Meredith,
    One thing about cold weather, it builds the appetite! Glad to hear you had a nice weekend to yourself. We just returned from T-town and stopped by yesterday to check on the kids. They had a very busy week at the Egg! It was jammed up yesterday with after church goers. They were both very tired, but happy about the business. We hope to get back into our house by the end of this month. One year out of your home is too long!
    Take care and have fun,
    Big AL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ms. Heidi- That is S. Miniato! I know it looks really big from the pics, but it's actually smaller than a lot of other churches here. It's beautiful though!

    Mr. Allen- I've heard the restaurant is great, I'm glad everything's going well. I can't wait to come visit! I'm glad yall will be back home soon, I think I'll be ready after a year too! Congrats on Bama, I know yall are having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meredith, I was so happy to hear that you had such a great experience at st. james and that you have already gotten to meet the Dunnams! You will have to let Dottie cook for you because she is amaaaazing. I have been enjoying reading all of your stuff so much! It has been giving me excitement and courage for my quickly approaching departure. I seriously plan on being in Florence within the first month I am there! I am craving the entire menu at open bar/golden view mmm.

    ReplyDelete