Monday, October 5, 2009

Gameday in Firenze

Saturday morning, as I was doing a puzzle, playing with play dough, and singing "Old McDonald had a farm" with two Italian kids, it occurred to me that it was gameday... A year ago, this is the absolute last thing I could have imagined myself doing the morning of the Georgia/ LSU game. I got a little Athens-sick thinking about my friends waking up in a few hours, putting on their gameday outfits, and heading out to tailgate. Since it was an afternoon game in Georgia, it was possible for me to actually see the game here. So, after some last minute planning, Burney hopped on a train in Reggio and was in Florence by 6pm, we were determined to watch the game together! After feeding, bathing, and putting the kids to bed, we left the house exactly at kick-off and headed to the closest pub. Well, they weren't playing it, so we went to the next, and the next, and the next, and finally realized it wasn't playing ANYWHERE in this country. We were both bummed, but found something almost as good to do instead. There was a German festival going on all weekend in one of the squares, so we just decided to have our own little Oktoberfest. I mean, it really wasn't that different from tailgating- unhealthy food and beer. We made it home just in time to get the score on the computer and we were winning!! But, not for long. Oh well.



The next morning, my family left for the day so Burney and I set out to enjoy the beautiful fall weather in Florence. We went to mass at a church around the corner from my house and got to witness an Italian baptism. It was so cool because it really made us feel like it was just part of our everyday life in Italy. After that, we packed a bag, picked up a few things at the grocery store, and made ourselves a little picnic in a near-by park. It was the perfect day to do that, so we just relaxed until Burney had to catch her train back. It ended up being a great weekend, even without football!




2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you missed the game but it sounds like yall had fun anyways! That picture of Burney is cracking me up! haha love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. waaaaa I wish I was there with y'all, drinking some wine, enjoying the weather, and having a delicious picnic!!! im crying eeehhhh

    ReplyDelete