Sunday, October 11, 2009

Buon Appetito

If you've only read one of my posts, you probably learned at least one thing: I love food. I did not intend to start a "food blog", but since I've been here, my love of all things edible has become very apparent. I love eating out, eating at home, cooking for myself, or having others cook for me. I can't walk past a restaurant (something I do 50 times a day now) without staring at everyone's plates, checking out the menu, and assessing the overall vibe of the restaurant. I'm constantly keeping a mental list of new places or recipes to try. I was so excited Saturday morning when Caroline planned a last minute trip to come see me for the weekend because I knew we would be able to check a few things off the list. It was a success! She got here Saturday afternoon and the kids helped us make my favorite chocolate chip cake (Lucia asked me to bake something else soon because she loved my last cake so much!). Considering this one didn't even last 24 hours, you could say it turned out awesome as well. That night, the kids had a sleep-over, so Caroline and I went to this little wine bar I've been eyeing. We had some great Prosecco, a cheese plate, and tomato bruschetta. Even though we weren't even hungry anymore, we decided to just go "look" at another restaurant I've been wanting to try as well. Of course, we took one look at the place and said "Table for 2 please!" It was the best decision! It's my new favorite place in Florence. It has the coolest, most relaxed- but still fancy- atmosphere, and an AMAZING menu. We've both been craving sushi since we've been in Italy, so we split a spicy tuna roll along with the best risotto I've ever had.

Another thing that has been on my to-do list is to make dinner for my family. Lucia asked me last week to make something I enjoy from home for everyone. Well, coming up with a recipe to please two picky kids, a vegetarian mom, and still be enjoyable for everyone else had me thinking for a few days, but I was very proud of my decision: sweet and sour chicken. It is served with rice (which everyone likes) and vegetables, the kids could eat the plain chicken, the mom can eat just the vegetables, and everyone else can have it all. I emailed my mom for the recipe and have been collecting the necessary ingredients for the past few days. Since Caroline was staying for dinner tonight, I thought it would be nice for us to cook for everyone. I have to admit, I was so nervous! I actually woke up early this morning and laid in bed worrying about it- I was literally going over and over the recipe in my head like I was studying for a test. I was worried because I didn't have all of the ingredients: no cooking sherry, no cornstarch, no white vinegar, and I had no idea how the replacements would all work together. Finally, Caroline and I got in the kitchen and got to work. I'm so glad she was here, I could have never done it without a sous chef! Everything actually went very smoothly and it turned out great. Everyone said it was "molto buono!" and I can't wait for left-overs tomorrow! I'm so sad I forgot to take a picture, but it was beautiful.

Yummy cake


Gilda's precious new backpack


Getting ready for the sleep-over


Drinks and apps at Le Volpi e L'uva


Dinner at The Fusion Bar & Restaurant


Pietro LOVES when my friends come to town!

2 comments:

  1. The cake turned out beautifully Meredith! And it sounds like the sw/sour chicken was a hit. Glad Caroline was around to help too. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was the bruschetta as good as Marti's? Maybe I can airmail you some with a brownie...yum!

    ReplyDelete