Thursday, September 10, 2009

Back to School

Since the day I made the commitment to come over here, I knew I was going to take an Italian class at some point. But after being here for three weeks and not understanding the language OR being around anyone even close to my own age, my first day of class could not come soon enough! I started my beginner's Italian class yesterday at a fashion and art school down the street from our house. Walking into the school, I was totally taken back to the first day of freshman year. I was so nervous! I immediately spotted two cute American girls and latched onto them. They are both studying here for the semester so I talked to them the whole time. You would think that a beginner's class would be taught in English, or at least some English, but no. My teacher walked into the room speaking Italian and writing all over the board in Italian and barely said two words in English the whole time. I was completely lost. She would explain something then say "Benne? Ok?" and the whole class would nod their heads like they understood and I was just sitting there like...what? Do they really know what's going on or are they just saying that? It could be a very long semester.

On another note, Gilda's birthday party went great on Tuesday. That morning, I helped Pietro and Gilda decorate the three dozen sugar cookies that I had made the night before. Italian desserts are typically very plain, so icing and sprinkles were a hit! I think they may have eaten more than they put on the cookies...a decision I immediately regretted letting them do as soon as the sugar rush hit! They were jumping on the table, running around the house, and chasing each other all over! TG for nap time!!

Licking the bowl of icing... The finished product, minus a few. The aftermath!

The party started at 4pm, but being on Italian time, the first guest didn't show up until 4:30. Once everyone got there, there were probably 15 kids running all over the yard and playing on the toys. The party worked pretty much the same as an American 3-yr. old birthday party, except for one thing: there was no designated "present time." When a child got there, they took their present to Gilda, who immediantly opened it and started playing with it! She even got a huge teeter-totter from someone and Lucia opened the box and put it together right in the middle of the yard. That's something my parents would have taken one look at and said "We'll have to put that together another day, honey." But everyone enjoyed playing on it the rest of the party. It was a long day, but everyone had fun!

Playing with the balloons The birthday girl! My attempt at getting a picture with Pietro...he HATES the camera!

The end of everyone singing to Gilda. "Tanti auguri a te..."

8 comments:

  1. Mere they are sooo cute and do not look Italian at all! I love seeing pictures of the children and you too! I remember when I took Italian class when I was there and I could not understand anything either!! You will do great though! LOVE YOU and keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the pics and the video Mere Bear! Those cookies look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. they are SO cute!! those cookies looked legit, mere. i think you redeemed yourself. shelf. i hope you had fun with the those two girlfriends last night, but don't be too quick to make replacement friends... can't wait to skype again and hear alll about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too cute for words. That first pic of Pietro is hysterical...obvi on a sugar high.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did someone say milk and cookies? Man, they look great! Looked like everyone had a good time at the birthday party. Don't worry about speaking Italian, just give that smile of yours. We are off to T-town to watch the Tide play this weekend. The game last week was a little too close for comfort, but we had a blast. Dee Dee got on national TV on GameDay and Ashley did during the game! Who da thunk it!! Have a great time!
    Big AL and Miss Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very Cute! I love the birthday song!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The video is so cool!! And it does look like yall had fun.. even if there wasn't present time haha. And the pics are so cute! Hope you had a good weekend in the country. Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mere! Your blog keeps me so entertained at work when there is nothing to do. I'm so proud of you for getting around by yourself over there! You've inspired me to work on my social anxiety (I still can't eat by myself in a restaurant here...if I don't have a lunch date scheduled, I eat alone in my car and make phone calls). I miss you and I'm so happy that you're loving Italia! xoxo Lia

    ReplyDelete