Sunday, September 6, 2009

Weekend in Rome

I'm just getting back to Florence after a great weekend in Rome. For those who don't know, Caroline is a friend from school. We graduated in the same major and spent many long nights together in the studio over the years. She just got to Rome on Tuesday to au pair for a year, so she is still trying to adjust to her new family/city/job as well. It was so great to see her!!

I arrived in town around 7:00 Friday evening. She met me at the train station and walked me to her family's beautiful house about 3 blocks away. I got to meet her kids, also a boy and girl, 7 and 4 years old, and their parents. Everyone was so nice! They were going to the beach for the weekend, so we helped get the kids ready and the car packed. By the time they left town and Caroline got ready, we didn't even sit down for dinner until 11! But, we had an awesome meal, complete with triple chocolate mousse for dessert! Yum!

We walked around all day on Saturday, starting at Campo de Fiori for lunch. We ate at this really cool mozzarella bar where you first choose what kind of mozzarella you want, then what you want to go with it. I had cherry tomatoes, Caroline had grilled vegetables, and both of them came with pesto. It was so good! Then we walked around a little bit and ended up at Villa Borghese. It's a beautiful part of Rome with gardens and parks. We decided to rent this Rick Shaw looking bicycle thing. It was hilarious but such a good idea! That night we met up with a guy Caroline knew from school to watch the Georgia game. Although we didn't exactly have a great start to the season, it was fun to watch it with other Georgia fans. I also got to meet up with Paolo, an exchange student from Italy who went to my high school and is now in school in Rome. I hadn't seen him in years, so it was fun to catch up.

I was sad to leave Caroline this morning, but I had a few things I needed to get done in Florence before my family got back from sailing. It's a beautiful day here today and I'm enjoying having a quiet house...back to work tomorrow!











1 comment:

  1. Its great talking to you on skype. Love the pictures from Rome. We miss you Merenith!!

    ReplyDelete