Well, I am finally on my own...My mom left yesterday evening for Rome. She spent the night there then flew out this morning. We had such a good week together, it was really hard to say goodbye. But, she is already talking about trying to come back in the fall, so hopefully it won't be too long. Autumn left this morning to go home to Canada. Although I had only known her for a few days, I was sad to see her go too. I wish we could have spent more time together, but the time we had was great. She was so helpful and she really got me excited about this coming up year! But, watching them drive away was one of the scarier moments of my life...I needed something to do, so I started moving my stuff from the children's room (where I slept last night) into my new room. The first thing I did was survey my room for storage space...not too much. I know that I've always been an over-packer...but this is ridiculous. I brought wayy to much stuff! After a few hours and some moving around, I got everything unpacked and (somewhat) organized. I really like this room and I know that I will eventually get everything settled. It has a great window that stays open all day and I even have a flower box!
Yesterday, I got to meet their housekeeper, Emanuela, for the first time. She is so sweet, but she doesn't speak a word of English! She grabbed my face just like a grandmother would do and said something in Italian...I just smiled. This morning, she prepared a beautiful breakfast in the dining room for all of us . Pastries, cereal, watermelon, yogurt, and croissants. As I was unpacking we had a few encounters, they mostly went like this:
Emanuela: walks in the room and smiles
Me: Smile back
Emanuela: Says something in Italian and makes some hand motions
Me: Say something in English and make some hand motions
Both of us shrug, then she leaves the room...
Oh well, hopefully we will be able to communicate in a few months. Until then, I'll just have to get really good at sign language.
I don't have any plans for the rest of the afternoon or tonight...I'm eating dinner at the house with Martino and Rocco, his 16-yr old son. I'm hoping to skype with some friends tonight...I haven't talked to anyone in a week now and I want to see my friends! Oh yeah, my camera batteries are charging right now so hopefully I can take some pictures of the house soon for everyone to see.
Wednesday, August 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I just laughed out loud at my desk reading your conversation with Emanuela! I know you're going to settle in fine. Can't wait to see pictures!
ReplyDeletehahahah mer mer! I miss you. I am spending the night with Caroline tonight (my hot water heater exploded) so we will get on skype and wait for you! I love you and great blogging skills.
ReplyDelete