At dinner with one of my favorie families

A few days after they left, I flew home for two weeks! It was so great. I spent one week in Destin with all my friends and family and had the best time. The weather was perfect and I got to see so many people. Kristen surprised me by flying home from D.C. for the weekend! There wasn't a quiet moment! My whole time at home was spent visiting with friends, going on the boat, hanging out on the beach, eating great American food, and enjoying being in my own house. I also went to a wedding and got to celebrate Cheney's engagement! It was so great having everyone together.
At the Mattie Kelly outdoor concert

Taking a sunset harbor cruise

Margaret, Natalie, Jessica, Kristen, me, and Haylee

After a week at home, I flew up to Atlanta to see my Georgia friends. A lot of them are living there now so we all got together. It was the best reunion! I was actually there on my birthday and Ansley's is the day after, so we had a cookout at her cute house to celebrate. It was great seeing everyone!
My friends at the birthday cookout

Two days later, I flew to Colorado for the big event! I was invited to the Air Force Academy Ring Dance which took place at the Academy Friday night. Lucia was so nice to let me borrow one of her beautiful Italian gowns and I carried it practically half-way across the world for the formal. But it was so worth it! It was my first trip to Colorado so that was fun too, it's beautiful out there. Everything about the weekend was great!
Before the dance

The mountains in Breckenridge, Colorado

Before I got home to the U.S., I wasn't expecting to experience any culture shock because that's the only way of life I've ever known, but I have to admit that I did. Nine months in Italy really has given me a different outlook on so many things that I didn't even realize. I had forgotten about so many of the differences. The main thing was definitely the dining experience. And although I had some great meals at home, I was ready to get back to the Italian way of eating. But, I was pleasantly surprised to notice how soft everything was at home! It sounds weird, but since everything is air dried and ironed over here, I forgot how amazingly soft towels and sheets could be! I was sad to leave America, but thinking about the kids made me feel better. I was so happy to see them when I got back! They gave me so many hugs and kisses, we couldn't stop laughing and smiling. Now I've been back in Florence for a week and life is going on as usual. After the first day, it was like I had never even left. Now it's June (omg!) and there is so much to look forward to! I'm planning some trips for the summer and fall and I'm trying to squeeze in as much as possible into my last six months here!

We loved having you home for a visit, Meredith! And we're so happy for all the amazing experiences you're having in Italy. Enjoy every moment, Sweetheart!
ReplyDeleteI'm sad I didn't get to see you in Destin! Love the pics!
ReplyDelete